Thursday, September 10, 2009

Obesity rates

Hey all,

This has been on my mind for some time. Since 1980, the rate of obesity has increased dramatically. Specifically, since 1985, obesity rates have more than doubled in every state. In 1985, there wasn't a single state with an obesity rate of more than 15%. Now, there are six states with over 30% of their populations that are obese. Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia are included in those 30+%. With numbers that are so scarily high, I am worried for the future. Rates of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer are only going to rise as well as the cost of health care. At first, I was very interested in diabetes, but, over time, I realized it was only a symptom of the real problem.

As I broke down the problem, I realized that weight gain is caused by an over consumption of calories. It's simple really. However, it is a mix of a lack of exercise and over eating because metabolism comes into play. But, weight loss and diabetes control will mainly come from better nutrition. Now, I maintain that a simple increase in fruits and vegetables as well as a decrease in meat and high fructose food syrup will probably lead to weight loss (it's almost fool proof, really). That, combined with weight lifting (yes, weight lifting) will lead to some serious weight loss. This is sort of the weight loss plan that I have adapted. In the coming weeks, I plan on spending one post a week on my diet progress, but, first, I need a scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment