Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Depression and drugs

Hey all,

When it comes to the treatment of depression, I'm not a fan of drugs. This was probably apparent in my last post, but I would like to expand on that. Also, I would like to talk about the ridiculousness of some drug ads. First off, drugs alone are not a good long term solution to depression because it doesn't get at the root cause of the problem which may be environment, thoughts, behavior, or probably a combination of the three. Without therapy, it's unlikely that people will identify these causal factors and the depression will likely occur again. Also, I would advise that the therapy is a form of Cognitive Behavior Therapy which is the most effective. While there is a still a stigma towards mental health, this is a long term solution that is better than drugs. After five years, the relapse rate is lower than just anti-depressants. Now, I will say that research has shown that the combination of the two is the most effective. However, antidepressants may have a placebo effect where the drug is effective simply due a psychosomatic response. I have to say that some mental disorders need to be treated by medications such as schizophrenia and bi-polar disorder.

As for some ads, I just want to say that drugs such as Abilify should not exist. If you need another anti-depressant because it's not working, then maybe you shouldn't be on an anti-depressant at all. Think about it. Also, if you think you are depressed, please see someone about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment