Friday, September 25, 2009

In Defense of Food: part 1

Hey all,

This is the new book by Michael Pollen and also the first book I have read by him. However, I loved it. It honestly has changed the way I eat. The food I used to eat was mainly processed, and I would cook quickly. Throw a pizza in the oven or something in the microwave and forget it. That was how I used to eat, but now I consume a plethora of vegetables, both cooked and raw. I also try to incorporate veggies into every meal. However, I should eat more fruits, but this will increase eventually. It not only changed my diet, but it also changed my view on the health labels and claims that we're supposed to believe (I did talk about this in an earlier post). We are bombarded by claims of less fat, lower sodium, lower calories, more omega 3 fatty acids, less saturated fat, no trans fats, and more vitamins. But, this should raise more questions about how processed our foods are. If foods can be modified like this, how is our food being made? I'm guessing that if we knew, we would be less likely to eat it. But, the point is: foods that make these claims should probably be avoided simply because it can be modified so much (already has). Food (real food) should not be able to be modified like this, so don't fall for the health claims and eat some food imitation because it has less fat, carbs, more vitamins, or omega 3 fatty acids. We vote three times a day simply by eating. Simple economics can make food healthier, but we have to eat healthier and buy less processed crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment