Saturday, September 5, 2009

Hunger for wholeness

Hey all,

There is a concept in regard to alcoholism called "thirst for wholeness" where the alcoholic is literally trying to fill a void. However, I don't think that this concept stops with alcohol or even drug addiction. I actually think that this applies to food as well. People may actually be eating to fill a void. I doubt that everyone who is obese is doing this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the number is higher than one might think. In this society, food is easy to come by, and unhealthy food is cheap and satisfying. If your life feels empty or meaningless, there could be a void that could temporarily filled by food which acts as a temporary pick me up, but it quickly leads to a long time problem if this behavior persists.

Personally, I feel that this is part of my problem with food. I eat and eat, not out of hunger, but out of some incessant longing for meaning in my life and dissatisfaction with my current situation. However, I have recently thought of a way to combat this problem. It's along the same lines, but it is nearly the exact opposite. Empowering Hunger is what I call it. This is a technique where I eat three square meals a day that are smaller than normal, but I don't eat after 8. When I get hungry, which I usually do, I find power and purpose in that hunger. I find strength. Instead of giving in to it, I relish it. I wait for it, and I stand at the precipice and say: "I will not give in". So far, it feels great, but I'm trying to prepare for some road bumps. Does anyone have any further advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment