Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Scary

Hey all,

I had a slightly troubling experience today. I was getting some gas, and, when I went in to pay for it, I heard some lady mention that someone should take a shot at President Obama after saying that he was going to take away guns or ammo (it wasn't clearly stated). Now, I'm kicking myself for not saying something to women who was with her children. What's more disturbing is that this woman said this at all in public. It bothers me, but it also bewilders me. What do people hate so much about President Obama? Is it simply because he's black? Does it have to do with the fact that this country is changing? Honestly, I didn't want George W. Bush as president, but I didn't want someone to kill him. It just seems so irrational, and I hope that this feeling is not a common one.

However, people do seem to think that liberals are going to take away guns from people, but what predecent is there for this line of thought? Guns will never be fully removed from the hands of United States citizens. Personally, I enjoy hunting and shooting. It's enjoyable in my opinion. In the same light, why is it such a big deal to place some restrictions on who can buy guns? Having stringent standards should help to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and those who may harm others someday. The amount of gun deaths in this country every year including homicide and suicide is staggering, and I think we can still do something about this while maintaining the abilility to own and operate firearms. These are my thoughts for now. I may discuss this in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment