Sunday, August 16, 2009

Kettlebells

Hey all,

Kettlebells are actually a Soviet invention created to train soldiers quickly during World War II (or so I've been told), but they are also a great workout. Using only one or two, you can do an entire body workout with them. Finding a weightliting program for kettlebells is fairly easy. There are many websites that outline workout plans, and you can find them by googling kettlebells. Still, the best part of kettlebells is that you have a two in one weight workout that includes cardiovascular and weight training which also results in quick muscle creation (or toning) while burning a lot of fat; however, this effect may wear off eventually after habituation.

There are some recommendations for anyone who wishes to try this workout. For men, I would recommend either a 35 or 53 pound kettlebell. For women, I would recommend probably a 20 or 25 pounds kettlebell (lighter if needed). As a caveat, I also recommend that you use a light weight immediately to keep from injuring yourself, and websites contain video and instructions for the lifts which you probably want to watch closely. If you are still unsure, I would ask a personal trainer for help or someone who appears to be experienced with them. However, they are an excellent work out and a nice change of pace. Have fun with them. I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment