Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Being fat and the BMI

Hey all,

You know that statistic that says people in this country are largely overweight and obese? Well, if you don't, experts say that 2/3 of this nation is overweight and half of those are obese. These numbers are based solely on information obtained with the BMI or Body Mass Index. It's a simple calculation: Body weight in kilograms divided by height squared (in meters). For example, I weigh 330 pounds divided by 2.2 which is 150 kg. My height is 6 feet or 72 inches times 0.0254 which equals 1.83 meters. That squared is 3.445. So, 150 divided by 3.445 equals 43.54. According to their standard, I am morbidly obese, and this may be correct. However, I could lose 110 pounds, and I would be just under obese (BMI =29).

Now, there is no question that we consuming more food today than we ever have before. However, we also consuming more meat than ever before. Also, our food contains many additives that may affect our weight which just makes us larger. Another increasingly popular trend is weight lifting. It's attractive for men to be muscular, and, likewise, there is a level of fitness that women aspire towards which might pack on some muscular weight. It's an easy measure, but it is flawed. I will continue to talk about this issue in my next post. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment