Saturday, October 3, 2009

Rent: The Musical

Hey all,

I went to see Rent last night, and it was the time that I had seen this musical. Sadly, the seats weren't great, so I couldn't hear everything. However, I still thought that it was excellent. The music, of course, was fantastic as well as the storyline. The story centers around a bunch of artists who are living in New York. It follows one year in their lives. Overall, there are eight main characters. Four of these characters have HIV. They are mainly poor and struggling to survive. Love blooms for four of the characters at the beginning while two are already a couple. Over the course of the musical, one of them succumbs to AIDS while the others mourn. Relationships fall apart and come back together, and it ends happily (or as happily as it can). Overall, this play seems to be a statement about poverty as well as HIV. Last night, two pieces of the AIDS quilt were on display. I have actually seen part of it in Duluth as well, and it is moving. Personally, I believe that we should never forget the past, so we can learn from it. The AIDS epidemic has become a pandemic. It's time that we move on this issue. With simple preventive tactics, we can stop AIDS. If you haven't seen this, I recommend that you see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment