Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lacking support

This is my second expressive writing post, and I have to admit that it feels a little emo. I remember my mom saying recently that she thought that I didn't believe in myself, and she was right (even though she had no evidence to back it up). I didn't, but this wasn't rocket science. I felt like they'd shot me down at every chance they could get. I was never good enough or productive enough. As an example, I'd had an idea for something. It was a new type of engine. I told my dad about it. He told me time and again, someone else would have thought of it or it doesn't work. The thing he told me my brother was something completely different. He was absolutely supportive of him. Not once, did he say anything negative about it to him. This was the same idea that I had, and we had been talking about working on it together. Eventually, I believed him that it couldn't work and moved on.

Then, I start thinking about stories and realized that I would really like to become a writer. Now, I have three older brothers. The one who is directly older than me was who I had collaborated with on the previous project. My second oldest brother is a great writer who has penned two unpublished novels and multiple screenplays (one will likely be sold soon). Naturally, I go to him for advice and start writing short stories. Also, I write down all of my story ideas and begin writing a novel in the spring of 2010. I don't get very far, only about 30 pages. When I tell my parents about this, my dad says "your brother couldn't get his published" and "Regis Philbin was talking about a book that no one wanted to publish". I took these statements to mean, you're so uncreative and untalented that you shouldn't even bother because, apparently, Rebis Philbin has to have amazing stories. When I told my mom about it, she said "you have such pie in the sky ideas". Hardly supportive.

Still, I developed an idea, and I've written it. It's 240 pages, and I'm in the first editing process. I've proven them wrong, and I still don't understand why they don't support me. I'm a fucking graduate student,and I'm not wasting my life. I understand that they may think that this won't earn me a living, but that's the point of going to school. Although, I hope it gets published, and I can make enough money from it to say "See how wrong you were". That probably won't happen, but a guy can dream. If anyone is interested in my short stories, they are available for Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment