Thursday, August 9, 2012

So, you haven't seen Not Another Teen Movie?

It's the kind of comedy that didn't get the attention that it deserved when it was released.  Still, I don't hear much talk about it, and I wonder why.  Truthfully, the first time I saw it, I didn't love it.  It was kind of funny, but I wouldn't have called it amazing or even  a stand out comedy. 

Not Another Teen Movie spoofs many of the teen movies from the '90s and even some '80s movies.  The most obvious is She's All That with Janey Briggs playing the Pretty Ugly Girl who would be gorgeous except for glasses, ponytail, and paint covered overalls.  There's football, that annoying best friend, the nasty ex-girlfriend, a pig, and a bet.  It also spoofs the Breakfast Club, Almost Famous, American Beauty, Varsity Blues, Bring it On, Cruel Intentions, and American Pie.  With all of this, it seems like it'd be too much, and the movie must be a mess.  However, it isn't.  The story takes some minor turns, but it somehow hangs together. 

Still, I didn't appreciate this until I watched it again.  When that happened, all of the secondary jokes came out ("Sex club meeting after school"), and the movies that are being spoofed become clearer.  Watching it for the first time, it was almost like being overwhelmed by comedy.  With repeated viewings, I was finally able to truly appreciate this flick, and it is great.  The cast includes a young Chris Evans, Jaime Pressly, Chyler Leigh, Eric Christian Olsen, Samm Levine, and Sam Huntington.  They're all excellent in it, too.  I badly want to quote it, but that spoils the fun. While I wouldn't call it a perfect movie, it is a joy to watch.  If you haven't seen it, you should.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment