Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Tebow Heading to the Jets and the NFL Punishes the New Orlean Saints

With the acquisition of Peyton Manning, the Broncos have decided to jettison Tim Tebow to the New York Jets for a fourth round pick. Did I hear that right? A fourth round pick? It seems a bit harsh. Tebow isn't amazing, but he's young, he draws crowds, and he wins. With how quickly this trade occurred, it makes me wonder if Tebow asked for this trade. Personally, I was surprised to see a fan favorite traded away, but I was even more surprised to see Manning go to the Broncos. Although, I'm glad to see him playing anywhere.

In other NFL news, the New Orlean Saints have been punished for their bounty program, and it is a strong punishment. Sean Payton has been suspended for the 2012 season without pay, and Gregg Williams has been suspended indefinitely. The team will also pay a $500,000 fine, and surrender their 2nd round draft picks for 2012 and 2013. The status of players is yet to be determined. According to reports, the emails discussing the bounty system is likely what led to such a reaction from the NFL. While some fans basically said that the Saints should give back their Super Bowl trophy, that sort of punishment wasn't realistic. Even though I am no fan of the Saints, this decision still surprises me. I didn't think that Payton would be suspended for an entire season. Football is a rough game with hard hits and fast action. Careers are already short enough. As a fan, I'm glad that the punishment was as harst as it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment